Short Novice Guide: Nakiri Knife
A Nakiri knife is a very common traditional Japanese knife characterised by its rectangular blade, which is ideal for slicing vegetables. The word Nakiri means “to cut greens” in Japanese.
Nakiri knives are typically made with a carbon steel blade, which is easy to sharpen and maintain. They are also relatively lightweight, making them easy to handle. While Nakiri knives are primarily used for cutting vegetables, we can also use them for other tasks, such as mincing and chopping.
Types of Nakiri Knife
There are two types of nakiri knives:
- The carbon steel Nakiri knife and – The carbon steel nakiri knife is made of high carbon steel, which makes it very sharp but also more susceptible to rusting.
- The stainless steel Nakiri knife – The stainless steel nakiri knife is made of stainless steel, which makes it less likely to rust but not as sharp as the carbon steel nakiri knife.
What Is Nakiri Knife Best Use For
Nakiri knives are normally used for chopping vegetables but can also be used for slicing meat and fish. They are designed to be easy to control and make precise cuts. Nakiri knives usually have a straight blade edge, which makes them ideal for push-cutting through vegetables. The wide blade also allows you to scoop up chopped vegetables easily.
How To Use Nakiri Knife
If you want to add a Nakiri knives to your kitchen collection, it’s important to know how to use it properly. These Japanese vegetable knives are designed for slicing and chopping vegetables, so they’re a great option if you cook at home. Here’s a quick guide on how to use a Nakiri knife:
- Start by slicing the vegetables into thin strips. This thin cut helps to cook evenly and prevent it from sticking together.
- Next, start chopping the vegetables into small pieces. Use a back-and-forth chopping motion to make sure each piece is evenly chopped.
- Once the vegetables are chopped, you can start slicing them into thin pieces. Again, using a back-and-forth slicing motion will ensure each piece is evenly sliced.
- Cut the vegetables into bite-sized pieces using a sawing motion. Be careful not to chop too finely, as this can make the vegetables difficult to eat.
Nakiri Knives Brands
Many different brands of Nakiri knives are available on the market, each with unique features and benefits. Here are just a few of the most popular brands:
Shun: Shun is one of the most popular brands of Nakiri knives, known for their high quality and durability. These knives are made with VG-10 stainless steel and have a 16-degree edge angle, making them perfect for precision cutting.
Mac: Mac is another top brand of Nakiri knives, offering blades made from high-carbon steel for exceptional sharpness and durability. These knives also feature a Granton edge, which helps to prevent sticking when cutting through tough vegetables.
Global: Global is another well-known brand offering Nakiri knives made from superior materials. The blades on these knives are made from molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel for exceptional sharpness and strength, and they feature a 15-degree edge angle for precision cutting.
Nakiri Knife Price Range
When it comes to Nakiri knives, there is a wide range of prices that you can expect to pay. You can find these Nakiri knives for as little as $20 up to $200 or more. Of course, the pricing will depend on several factors, such as the quality of the steel, the brand, and where you purchase it from.
If you are looking for high-quality Nakiri knives that will last a lifetime, you can expect to pay around $100 or more. However, if you are a beginner in the kitchen and looking for a budget-friendly option, plenty of options are available for under $50. Ultimately, it all comes down to your budget and what you want in Nakiri knives.